* Enjoy giving talks to all ages - from the very young to teenagers and adults. Subjects include PSHE for Early Years, How to Put a Book Together, Russian History, Publishing and Self-publishing.
* Author of over 36 children’s books, including several award-winning titles, translated into many languages and sold around the world. Translator from French, Spanish, Russian into English.
* Author in Residence at two Hammersmith primary schools; teacher of creative writing to children across the Borough, and to trainee teachers at university.
* Worked as editor and commissioning editor at several publishing houses; give talks on publishing and self-publishing.
* Author/publisher of Dinosaur Douglas Books, which offer a new fun way to explore health-related subjects for Early Years, including oral health, vitamin D, obesity and hand-washing. Written in rhyme, with input from Paediatric Consultants at Chelsea & Westminster Hospital, illustrated by international artist Alex Godwin, ideal for PSHE and literacy.
* Finalists in the Early Years Excellence Awards.
* Hammersmith & Fulham Council purchased 5,250 copies of Dinosaur Douglas and the Beastly Bugs to give to young children across the borough. Doncaster City Council is adding the book to 3,500 oral health packs for children. RDASH NHS Foundation Trust purchased 1,750 copies. Included in the Government document Tackling Poor Oral Health in Children.
“This book is definitely the best children's book we have read about the importance of brushing your teeth.” The British Dental Journal
"Heather's splendid Dinosaur Douglas series continues to inform and educate children . . .whilst at the same time telling a brilliant story in rhyme and with Alex Godwin's superb illustrations helping to reinforce key points. The timeless lure of dinosaurs and the terrific added bonus of getting important health messages across continues! (Books Monthly)
“I was really impressed with the way the children were able to connect to the books … The discussions that resulted were really fruitful. The themes, covering healthy lifestyle choices,are unlike any that I have been able to find for children in a fictional text, so I personally found them really useful. “ KB (Y1 Teacher, Greenside Primary School, London W12)
"The feedback from the children and teachers involved was really positive and Dinosaur Douglas seems to have been a hit! The messages in these books are really relevant to a lot of work going on in libraries at the moment, as health is one our four key offers." Maria King, Clayton Green Library, Lancashire County Council
Latest non-fiction title for KS2, KS3 and upwards:
* 20thCentury Russia: a Century of Upheaval.
"Heather Maisner carefully analyses the rise and fall of the Soviet Union, with excellent, succinct explanations of the various events. She throws the net fairly widely, with sections of writers, artists, women, propaganda, family, architecture, etc. This is a handsome, well-produced book (with stimulating photographs, painting and posters) and can be highly recommended." The School Librarian
"Perfect for the KS3 history curriculum, as the curriculum requires, it takes its evidence from archive photography, posters, artefacts and eyewitness accounts so pupils learn to use and understand source material . . . A comprehensive book, packed with authoritative information." Parents in Touch