Hi, I'm Nikki! I studied for my BA and MA at Roehampton University. I feel very passionate about reaching underrepresented groups since I am from a lower income background. I grew up in inner city London and attended state school in Camden. I've been in love with words since I wrote short stories in my scrapbook at primary school and discovered what a metaphor was. I love inspiring others through workshops (online or in person) and giving feedback, in particular finding creative ways to engage others in writing at their own pace.
I currently live in London and I'm willing to travel a reasonable distance. I base my rates on those recommended by The Society of Authors.
- Editing and proofreading
- Strong project management
- Event planning and delivery
- Public readings and talks
- Communication and relationship management
- Strong attention to detail
- Good work ethic
- Designing and delivering classes and workshops
- A passion for development
- Funding application writing
-I have delivered experimental poetry workshops as part of the Stay at Home Festival (2020) and the Stay at Home Fringe Festival (2020).
-I have delivered supportive workshops linked with the streetcake experimental writing prize.
-I created the MumWrite development programme - a programme dedicated to mums who write poetry/short fiction, involving workshops and editorial feedback. Workshops cover writing prompts, editorial support, development ideas, hybrid writing, and a range of other subjects (writing endings, resilience, developing a collection).
Streetcake magazine and prize:
I am Managing Editor of streetcake magazine, which I started with Trini Decombe in 2008. streetcake publishes an online issue every 2-3 months and in 2019, launched the streetcake experimental writing prize for 18-30 year olds, supported by the Arts Council England. The prizes include mentoring from published writers, personalised feedback and developmental support, publication and book bundles.
I have also worked as an EFL teacher and editor/proofreader. I have:
- Taught children (from age 3) and adults in Madrid and London, delivering a range of personalised lessons
- Taught group and individual classes from Beginner to Advanced
- Taught exam, business, conversation and tailored classes
- Helped hundreds of students pass Cambridge exams
- Taught IELTS, Pet and Ket classes
- Edited and proofread thousands of documents on various subjects
- Assisted clients with achieving high grades in dissertations and essays
I have a background in publishing and editing. Past roles include:
- Production Manager of magazine supplements (2 years)
- School Programmes' Coordinator at Booktrust, for Booktime (1 year)
- Subscriptions Manager for The Wolf poetry magazine (1 year)
- e-book proofreader for Hachette (2 months)
- SYP Production Assistant and Commissioning Editor for In Print magazine (2 years)
My psychological thriller, Ellipsis, was published by Sparkling Books in 2010. My chapbook, exits/origins, was published by Knives Forks and Spoons Press in 2010 and my collection, Hope Alt Delete, was also published by them in 2017. One of my poems was also featured in The Blackpool Illuminations 2016. I have a forthcoming collection with The Knives, Forks and Spoons Press (2020). My novel, Volta, won the Virginia Prize 2020 and is forthcoming with Aurora Metro in 2021.
-Novel, Volta, winner of the Virginia Prize 2020. Due to be published in 2021.
-Shortlisted in the London Writers' Competition in 2003 for poetry.
-Won the Promis Prize for poetry in the London Writers' Competition 2005.
-Novel, Ellipsis, shortlisted for the Ideastap Inspires programme in 2014.
"Thanks for a very thought provoking workshop. Very useful ideas, which have sparked other ideas."
"I found it really inspiring - fun, encouraging, a gorgeous atmosphere."
"I enjoy the support from the other participants and from Nikki, and I love the exercises we do -
I find them inspiring and I learn a lot from them."
"The prompts are exciting and different and allow me to play around with ideas and techniques
I wouldn't necessarily consider."
"Really got my brain engaged!"
I am a published novelist and poet, who has been published in print and extensively online. My novel, Ellipsis was published by Sparkling Books. I am also the 2020 winner of the Virginia Prize for Fiction and my second novel will be published in 2021. I have a poetry chapbook and collection with the Knives Forks and Spoons Press, with another collection forthcoming in 2020. One of my poems was featured in the Blackpool Illuminations 2016. I have delivered readings and talks as an author. You can read more about my publications on my website: nikkidudleywriter.com