I'm currently booked for World Book Day 2020 and throughout that week (March 2nd-6th).
My debut YA novel OH MY GODS was published in January 2019. Since then, I've had the pleasure of visiting KS3 classes at schools and bookshops around London - it's the best part of the job! My workshops and talks are highly interactive, drawing answers from the most reticent of pupils. As my book OH MY GODS is aimed at readers aged 11+, my workshops are best suited for Years 7/8:
1. So You Want to Be a Writer? - A talk about the childhood experiences that shaped the writer I am today, plus practical tips for any budding writers.
2. My Path to Publication - I talk through the process of getting a book deal and becoming a published author, emphasising the resilience and patience needed to fulfil your dreams.
1. 21st Century Gods - From the goddess of hunting to the god of winemaking, the worship of deities in the ancient world gives us insight into their values and way of life. I invite your pupils to imagine how this system of deities could be transferred to their lives today - god of memes or goddess of music streaming, for example! - and what that says about our values.
2. Myths Made Modern - Together we explore the enduring nature of myths, legends and folklore in popular Western culture. Through a series of creative writing exercises, pupils modernise a well-known myth/fairy tale of their choice.
3. Behind the Book Cover - I take the pupils through the process of designing a book cover from start to finish, using my own novel OH MY GODS as an example. Pupils will then be tasked with designing their own book cover based on a brief provided by me.
I'm based in North London but I'm happy to travel around the UK and internationally. I'm also available for virtual author visits via Skype. For information on my availability and fees, send me an email.
"It was a wonderful event and fantastic to see the pupils engaging so well with the concepts surrounding Greek gods and teen fiction. You had them enraptured – who knew we had so many mythologists in our midst?!" - Ms S. Hayden, Graveney School
"The students were incredibly engaged and absolutely loved your visit - I've had glowing reviews this morning from staff and students!" - Miss L. Allen, Chelsea Academy
"It's sometimes hard to know what to expect with an author visit but I had every confidence that Alex's visit was going to be a one to remember. The assembly was interactive, fast-paced and included some great writing tips. The 21st Century Gods workshop was well thought out and planned which engaged our students from the moment they walked in the door. Since your visit, there have been so many copies of Oh My Gods being read. Thank you for encouraging our students to read!" - Mr D McLaughlin, Walker Academy
"We really enjoyed the workshops because it gave us a chance to extend our writing and to be creative with our story concepts. We would love to do it again and Alex was great fun. Thank you for this opportunity." - Cecilia, Year 8
PRAISE FOR OH MY GODS
"The intelligent, laugh-out-loud book noticeably sets itself apart from other young adult novels in that it’s not solely focused on trauma, despite the protagonist losing her mother at the tender age of 10." - i News
"Oh My Gods is Alexandra Sheppard’s debut YA novel and a formidable introduction to a writer to watch." - Refinery 29
"Although the book is essentially witty and slightly absurd, it deals with challenges and experiences that many teens can identify with and celebrates diversity and individuality." - BookTrust
"It's not often we recommend books written specifically for younger teens, but for Alexandra Sheppard's fun, breezy debut we had to make an exception!" - Pride Magazine
Ancient Greek mythology meets Geek Girl in a very appealing, funny teen debut about a girl living with her chaotic family - who just happen to be Greek gods living incognito." - The Bookseller
"Often bordering on the absurd, this distinctive tale delightfully juxtaposes the ordinary with the extraordinary, and even manages to explore some Greek mythology as well! This is a fascinating read that will have you laughing out loud on several occasions." - Book Clubs In Schools
"A refreshingly fun read that centres a unique voice in a clever and imaginative way. In the current publishing climate, we definitely need more novels like this." - Rewrite London
My debut YA novel was published by Scholastic in January 2019. OH MY GODS is a fun, light-hearted read that deals with themes of identity, mental health, family, bereavement and finding oneself.